Reading cover letter samples is a great way to learn how to write a good one for your job search. That's why I invited readers to post their best cover letters — so that we all learn what works... and what doesn't.
Sharing Cover Letter Samples
I've written lots of articles on how to write a cover letter. In this article, instead of me doing all the talking, I suggested we put our heads together to come up with cover letter samples that help each other right here on the website.
I asked readers to post your letters (below in the comments section) and tell us why they thought their letters were good. If they had questions, they could ask. Then, someone in the group would give his or her two cents. The goal was to have a nice give-and-take.
As you see, it worked pretty well. The sample cover letters that folks submitted (below) are filled with ideas (some good, some not so good) and the comments, I hope, are useful in learning how to write a good letter.
Send Me Your Cover Letter
If you'd like to send me your cover letter, you can copy and paste it into my contact form. I can't promise to respond to all letters sent to me, but if I have the time, I'll get back to you.
The Best of the Best Cover Letters
If you're short on time and can't read through them all, you can skip to this list of the best of the cover letters that were sent in. Some of them are really good, so don't miss them.
Don't Have a Great Cover Letter?
Check out my Ready-Made Resume Builder. It has a lot of cover letter templates and wording to help you write a really good letter... maybe your best cover letter ever!
74 Necklace St
Kingstown NSW 2334
T: (02) 9182 9999
M: 0490 533 712
I am a professional and qualified security guard with a wealth of experience in door operations. I enjoy dealing with the public, resolving conflict and defusing volatile situations before they escalate. Professionally presented, with good interpersonal skills and effective crowd control strategies, I am seeking employment with a high profile security organisation where I can continue to contribute to public safety.
Certificate II in Security Operations
Dooradorn High School
November 2009 – Present
Security Guard, Peppy Sarsaparilla Nightclub
- Perform static day and night door operations
- Perform inspections of personnel and confiscate illicit substances
- Exercise club exclusion policy
- Perform conflict resolution
- Apprehend or evict trespassers
- Monitor the integrity of property boundaries
- Protect patrons and staff from injury or threat
- Contact police or emergency services when necessary
- Perform lock and security checks
- Administer first aid when necessary
- Correctly identified and confiscated prohibited items on many occasions
- Developed greater skill in identifying potential troublemakers and de-escalating potentially volatile situations
January 2008 – October 2009
Security Guard, The Laundry Club
- Performed static nightly door operations
- Questioned and/or inspected suspicious customers and personnel
- Contacted police or emergency services when necessary
- Helped ensure safety of customers
- Defused volatile situations before they escalated
- Prevented many small incidents from escalating
- Honed skills in conflict resolution, weapon disablement and crowd control
- Driver’s licence, class C
- Current NSW security certificate
- Current first aid certificate
My interests include fitness and weights, NRL, motorbikes and motorsports.
|Bobby Schmidt |
T: (02) 9999 0000
|Sue Denim |
The Laundry Club
T: (02) 6666 6666