12 Interesting Interpersonal Communication Research Paper Topics
There are many different interpersonal communication topics that you can use for an academic paper; however, sometimes thinking of these topics is easier said than done. In order to help you to narrow down a good topic or title for your essay, the following suggests various pieces of advice, as well as including a list of interesting ideas that you may wish to use.
Think about what barriers to communication, if any, you want to write about in your paper
Firstly, you may wish to consider barriers to communication. Interpersonal communication revolves around how easily people can communicate with one another, and, therefore, by researching and writing about any barriers that can exist, you immediately open up numerous topics to write about.
Consider how you will carry out the research, particularly interviews
As part of your essay you will inevitably have to carry out some form of research. In order to do this, you need to think of different research methods that you would like to use. There are various aspects to consider when it comes to picking research methods, including any ethical issues and boundaries that you must keep within.
Equally, you may wish to consider any financial costs that may be associated with various methods, as well as the simple fact that carrying out some methods may be difficult or even impossible.
For a few further ideas of what you could base your paper on, the following is a list of 12 different research paper topics on the subject of interpersonal communication.
- How does communication differ between two people compared with groups of more than two people?
- How can interpersonal communication be used to reflect a person’s dominance within a group?
- What methods do deaf people use to communicate emotions that are not necessarily used by those without hearing problems?
- Do women demonstrate different interpersonal communication skills to men?
- How do children learn interpersonal communication skills?
- Can we learn anything from the interpersonal communication skills of animals when compared to those of humans?
- How does sign language change around the world?
- How do deaf people learn sign language?
- An analysis of hidden communication in human beings?
- An in depth study of individuals who can detect micro-communications?
- How to tell if someone is lying
- A comparison of interpersonal communication methods used by individuals from two distinct and different cultures
Whenever you are given the freedom to do so, select a topic that genuinely interests you and/or is relevant to your life. Do a quick inventory:
- What makes you tick? What defines you?
- What problems affect you or someone close to you?
- What do you think the biggest problem in society is?
You'll want to consider the following issues before you select your topic:
- Will it sustain my interest?
- Does it fit the parameters of my assignment?
- Is credible information on this topic readily available?
For this assignment, Dr. Sahlman asks that you select a topic involving some aspect of interpersonal communication. During the semester you will study the following topics:
- Definition communication and interpersonal communication
- Language and verbal codes
- Nonverbal communication and behavior
- Culture, gender, and personality in interpersonal communication
- Social cognition and the self
- Relational development
- relational escalation/relational initiation
- relational maintenance
- relational de-escalation/relational termination
- Compliance gaining
- Social and personal relationships
- Family and intimate relationships
- Deception in interpersonal relationships
- Conflict and power
- Interpersonal communication in business relationships
- Communication competence